About accredited Degree Apprenticeships

Degree apprenticeships are the fastest-growing route to attracting top talent into business. They attract high calibre candidates who gain all the benefits of on-the-job learning and a fee-free Honours degree.

Designed by leading employers, TechSkills accredits digital degree apprenticeships to equip degree apprentices to work in a wide range of graduate-level tech roles, including cyber security analyst, data analyst, business analyst, network engineer, software engineer, user experience analyst and more.

Quick facts

In a nutshell: degree apprentices are full-time employed members of staff who work in your business while studying towards a university-awarded Honours degree

Offered by: Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) – universities or collaborations between private training providers or colleges with universities. A collaboration is usually led by the private training provider or college.

Duration: 3-5 years, most commonly 4 years

Candidates: new recruits or existing team members (no age limit)

Study time: typically, the equivalent of a day per week for the duration of the apprenticeship, either for block or day release study or to study online

Support: employers provide their degree apprentices with study time and access to resources they may need to succeed, such as mentoring support

Recruitment: through individual employer’s websites and recruitment campaigns, supported by the university, college or private provider, which in many cases will also advertise vacancies.

Employers also advertise on the government ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ website – https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship


  • Larger employers: companies with an annual payroll of £3m+, and therefore liable to pay the apprenticeship levy from May 2017, will be able to fund up to 100% of a degree apprentice’s tuition costs from their levy contribution
  • Smaller employers with over 50 employees: can claim 95% of the degree apprenticeship costs from the government, leaving them to pay only 5% themselves
  • Smaller employers with fewer than 50 employees: can claim 100% of the degree apprenticeship costs from the government

Coverage: degree apprenticeships are currently only available in England. Degree apprentices must work for companies headquartered in England and must spend at least 50% of their working time in England.

Degree apprenticeships are offered at BSc and MSc levels. Discover more on each: