Tech Industry Gold Students – Autumn Guide 2021
Welcome to our Live Autumn Guide for all students on our Tech Industry Gold Degree programmes.
Put the dates in your diary, start thinking about your entry to the Autumn Challenge… Looking forward to a productive term.
LIVE GUIDE – AUTUMN 2021
As a Tech Industry Gold student, please make sure you register with us so that we can keep you posted when new information is available.
Find out more below:
National Autumn Challenge (24/11/21 – online)
National Autumn Student/Employer Event (01/12/21 – online)
Industry Insights Talks (Thursdays at 2 pm)
Why get involved?
Hear from some of the course tutors and students who have taken part:
“Students should definitely make the most of the opportunities on these Tech Industry Gold programmes to meet employers. It is not often that one gets to meet senior executives with extensive experience in running successful companies. So, this must be a top priority for every ITMB student. In addition, we see the positive impact of this not only on employability but also academic results. The students who get most involved learn the most, and this makes a real difference to their futures.”
Hajrë Hyseni, ITMB Programme Leader, University of Hertfordshire
“The national competitions have been a real highlight of my degree course. I’ve learned so much from working with my team members and from the experience of presenting to employers and talking to them about my ideas. I would say don’t be nervous, get a team together and give it a try, you won’t regret it!”
Blanca Isabel Valencia, 2nd year ITMB student, Queen Mary University
“Tech Industry Gold courses provide you with an enormous amount of interaction with employers. This really helped me when applying for jobs, as I had a large network and the employer-related projects provided me with so much to talk about in interview.”
Matt Rigby, Tech Industry Gold graduate and Agile Coach for IBM
“TCS has been a big supporter of Tech Industry Gold for years – the results are outstanding and the programmes make a real difference to the pipeline of talent coming into digital and tech careers. The events are an important part of that. My team enjoyed the new ‘speed networking’ this year, meeting a lot of students in a short period of time, and hopefully helping to inspire them about the opportunities in front of them.”
Yogesh Chauhan, Director of Corporate Sustainability, Tata Consulting Services
National Autumn Challenge
|Who||Teams of two to eight students on Tech Industry Gold programmes, any year group|
|When||Get started as soon as possible!
• 10th November 2021 – Students need to register their team providing at this stage a team name (usually the solution they are proposing). Preferably with team members’ names and email addresses as well, if available to [email protected]
• 24th November 2021 – Competition day (online)
|What||• You work as a team to come up with an innovation solution to a real world challenge.
• Together, you create a presentation to share your concept and thinking with a panel of employers, who are all there to help you.
• The employers will listen, discuss questions with you, and offer you feedback.
|Why||• Gain confidence and learn new skills
• Build bonds and have fun with your colleagues
• Be noticed by employers and win prizes – Trophy for the winning team and cash prizes for winning team and two runner-up teams in each of the competitions, i.e first year and second/final year. Also vouchers, workshadowing / virtual meet-ups with employers.
|How||Click here for more information and details on how to enter|
|More…||The employer panel will be announced in due course.|
National Autumn Student/Employer Event
|Who||All students on Tech Industry Gold programmes|
|When||Wednesday 1st December 2021, 1:30 – 4:30 (online)|
|What||Join employers of all sizes and students from other universities for this special event:
• Learn from inspiring speakers and skills development sessions
• Meet employers with our roundtables
• Celebrate this year’s Spring Challenge winners.
|Why||• Get an insight into industry futures and digital careers
• Develop skills in a fun environment
• Meet employers and win prizes – Vouchers for work shadowing opportunities / virtual meet-ups with employers.
|How||Register here for this event. If you missed last year’s Autumn Event, check here for what happened.|
Industry Insights Talks
|Who||All students on Tech Industry Gold programmes
Also currently open to Tech Industy Gold Degree Apprentices
|What||• Live online sessions with industry experts.
• 45 minutes each, including the opportunity for questions and discussion.
|Why||• A unique insight into the digital world, with topics ranging from the future of technology to how to build a successful career.
• Meet and ask questions of employers in an informal environment.
|When||Usually held on a Thursday from 2 pm – 2.45 pm. See the schedule below and click here for a more detailed programme.
• 7 October 2021 – ‘How to write a compelling CV, win at assessments, and stand out from other applicants’
• 14 October 2021 – ‘The ethical use of personal data for crime identification, medical data, and voting purposes’
• 21 October 2021 – ‘My pathway into Cybersecurity’
• 28 October 2021 – ‘Let’s get creative about data and project management’
• 4 November 2021 – TBC
• 11 November 2021 – ‘How to achieve your career goals with Top Tips to success’
• 18 November 2021 – ‘Lipstick, Football and Tech’
• 25 November 2021 – ‘Tech for Good’
|How||Click here to register|
|Notes||Talks are recorded and made available in the student resources area at techskills.org/community. If you register, you will be able to see all the previous talks too.|
Other actions to take….
|♥||Join the Tech Industry Gold community at techskills.org/community for free access to student resources, including Industry Insight Talks.|
|♥||Keep in touch on social media – go to techskills.org/social-media/ to join us.|
|♥||Join the Tech Allies Alumni Network at techalliesnetwork.org for more opportunities to develop your skills and expand your network.|
|♥||Create / edit your LinkedIn profile to include the Tech Industry Gold logo and start connecting – include TP Degrees and join the TP Degrees Community group – go to techskills.org/gold-guide for all the details.|